f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Picks of 2006

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, December 11, 2006

Picks of 2006

As always, this isn't a "Best of" because my sampling of these categories is far too limited to make such a designation.


On TV

The Office
- Who has two thumbs and likes The Office? This guy! Season three has been a little hit/miss but any show with Dwight K. Shrute on it is worth watching. (Did you know you can get Dwight to call your friends and taunt them about lupus?)

Project Runway - I once rated myself on a sexuality continuum. Let's knock that rank down one. Don't care; enjoyed this show, though the wispy little blonde woman should have won. (Also, it reminds me of this festival which I saw out of the blue in New Zealand.)

So You Think You Can Dance? - Crap. Knock me down another point. Downside to this show? It's the reason they made TiVo. Ten minutes of dancing (maybe) crammed into an hour-long episode.

Arrested Development - Inducted into the Dave Long Sitcom Hall of Fame after concluding season three in the spring.

:::

Theater

Reeling
- Children's Theater Company
- A world premiere production of physical comedy and silent-film shenanigans. I'm biased, as I got to be in a few productions.

Hamlet - Guthrie Theater - This was the sixth stage production of Hamlet I've seen and likely my second favorite.

:::

Music

Guster - Lost and Gone Forever
- Their new album was okay, but I tracked down this older offering and it's pure pop gold. Yay!

MuteMath
: I'm still just so-so about their lyrics but I saw them live and they're really, really talented. Their drummer is other-worldly and their lead singer was channeling Sting from The Police, circa 1981.

Springsteen - "Oh, Mary Don't You Weep" - My favorite from the new Creole-tinged offering from Bruce.

Joseph Arthur - Nuclear Daydream - Probably what I've been listening to most lately.

:::

Cheese

Parrano - It has its own website.

:::

Restaurant

Broder's Pasta Bar - If you're ever in the TC, especially during the winter, and you're looking for a bite...this is the place you should go.