f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: The Minnesota State Fair

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Friday, September 01, 2006

The Minnesota State Fair

I am always amused when the national media casts its eye toward this spectacle...because it always treats it with the same "stranger in a strange land" tone normally reserved for describing conception rituals from Haiti or the religious rites of East Timor.

My parents were delighted that the summer I moved here the Great Minnesota Get-Together made it into National Geographic.

I've never been the hugest fan of the fair (heat and crowds don't mix) but in upcoming years I think even I will be nostalgic for the yesteryear of, say, 1997. This thing is a cash-cow and like anything that generates the Benjamins it's slowly being corporatized and prices are maxing-out. Last year I was so annoyed after three hours of jostling the obese, emptying my wallet, and a diet of sugar and fat that I couldn't even enjoy the unexpected spectacle of a non-descript average Joe absolutely killing on karaoke version of Styx's "Lady."

We're not going this year.