f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Establishing Your Career as a Writer: Part VIII

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, March 27, 2006

Establishing Your Career as a Writer: Part VIII

There seem to be two kinds of authors in the world.

The first kind is mildly embarrassed that they actually wrote a book and therefore couldn’t imagine ever imposing themselves on someone else to actually buy the book.

The second kind turn every opportunity into a chance to mention their book. “Hey, sorry, your grandma died. Guess she’s going to rot away to nothing but bones now. By the way, did you know I wrote a book called Ezekiel’s Shadow that uses bones as a symbolic image of our dead life before Jesus?”

Your goal, as an author, is to fall somewhere in between. And, to be quite frank, the closer you are to #2, the more books you’re likely to sell.

I’ve heard various statistics about how many book sales can be attributed to the author and in most cases it’s a pretty significant portion. You can choose to look at this two ways: 1) How annoying, it should be up to my publisher to sell my book. Or 2) Okay, it’s part of the business. I want to write books and part of that means helping to promote and sell the books.

That said, I’m going to say something that some authors may not like. I don’t know. But I’ll say it.

You need to invest in your career. No business simply takes income and buries it the backyard. The best businesses know how to take that income and reinvest it into their company for growth. I can’t suggest how much that amount should be. But it’s probably going to be more than a cup of coffee.

The next question of course is where do you spend your money.

From my viewpoint (and I welcome differing opinions) you spend it two places:

1. Your website

2. Places your publisher won’t be spending money.

We’ll pick up here tomorrow.

::

Continue to Part IX of Establishing Your Career as a Writer