f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Apropos of Nothing

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Apropos of Nothing

I've been trying to understand the idiosyncrasies of my "taste" lately so I can better gauge when I like something for its universal appeal or I like something for my own odd reasons.

Anyway, that llama in the car picture made me realize that I have a distinct fondness for nonsensical dichotomies. Llamas? Fine. Cars in Times Square, NY? Fine. Llamas in Times Square? Wonderful beyond words.

No context is needed. Context ruins it, in fact.

Apropos of nothing...here's a llama in a cab.

This is something, I realized, that often plays a fundamental role in children's literature. Apropos of nothing...here's a country where it rains orange juice and hails pancakes. Kids don't care about context. Imagination takes them right over that little hurdle. It's the wonder of thing that matters.

Some other terrifically random illustrators:

Chris van Allsburg - The Mysteries of Harris Burdick - The Seven Chairs

Michael Sowa - Sowa's Ark - February

David Wiesner - Tuesday