f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Parting Thoughts of a Summer Intern

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Parting Thoughts of a Summer Intern

Wow. What a ride. I can't believe that this fabulous internship is over and school starts in less than a week. Sometimes I wish I could put a time-freeze over those moments where you laugh until you cry because someone said something extremely ridiculous or where you are so intrigued with what is going on that you don't ever want it to end. But alas, God created time that moves--what a crazy world.

I didn't get to write as often as I would have liked this summer, but 20 hours a week goes by so quickly and there was so much to be done and to learn here. So I am here to share with all of you lovely people a few little nuggets of knowledge I gleaned from the wizened one that is my boss (and all his co-workers of course).

10 things I learned this summer:
1. The publishing world is not as mysterious as those inside make it seem.
2. Those inside the publishing world are real people (mostly).
3. BHP is an amazing place to work (or pretend to work in my case).
4. It's not as easy to get your book published as you think (hello slush pile).
5. Acquisitions Editors have the best work schedule ever (it doesn't exist).
6. Don't ever tell Dave your mother's name is Meg if it is Linda.
7. Don't share embarrassing stories from your past and expect your boss to not tease you mercilessly (he's just jealous).
8. Authors are not just another jewel in the crown--they are well taken care of, as are their books.
9. Athol Dickson has an ASTOUNDING book coming out this spring (no, they did not tell me to plug that--I did it all on my own--Dave is wearing off).
10. I can't tell you because I learned it in a Top Secret meeting--but boy is it good!
11. (10 doesn't really count) Having a "secret" candy drawer is not as normal as one would think.

Well, I learned so much more, but there is no time or room to tell it. Thank you all for letting me post a few thoughts. I enjoyed your interaction. God bless you all and try to enjoy the little bit summer left!

CS