f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: If I Were Lord Voldemort...

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, July 25, 2005

If I Were Lord Voldemort...

...I'd switch up my plans and try attacking Harry Potter the first week of school! Because after six straight years of waiting until May and the end of school, he totally wouldn't be expecting it.

This is one of the subtle tyrannys of a chronological series. If each book takes a year and the climax is always at the end of the book, then the climax is always going to take place at the same time each year.

I actually faced this a bit with my first novel. The novel is told in eight parts, each taking a week. And since it's got some suspenseful overtones, I found myself consistently building to a cliffhanger on Saturdays. That seemed contrived so I ended up loosening the structure a little to allow the story to adhere more to "reality."