f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Rejection Week

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Rejection Week

It’s like the Valentine’s Day Massacre here.

After a number of projects logjammed my time for a couple of weeks, I got backed up on submissions and am now trying to clear out the works. It’s not a pretty sight.

It’s evident that one of the many things I will need to pray over in the years to come in my career is patience and compassion. There’s a knee-jerk frustration that emerges when multiple proposals fail on multiple levels.

I’m trying to figure out where the system is breaking down. Because it’s one thing to receive an unsolicited proposal from a first time novelist through the blog that’s rough and not-ready-for-prim-time. It seems like it’s quite another thing to receive a proposal that’s of virtually similar quality from an agent. That, to me, is a system breakdown.

No offense writers, but we need to be harder on you. YOU need to be harder on you. First drafts shouldn’t cut it. Dialogue manacled in cliché shouldn’t cut it. Inauthentic genre books plotted and detailed from Hollywood movies and not hardcore, intensive research shouldn’t cut it. Voiceless narrative without the punch of imaginative personality shouldn’t cut it.

Hopefully this may serve as a bit of a wake-up call. I have never scored high on “Mercy” during spiritual gifts inventories and my rejections are getting terse and to-the-point. Nobody wants to get one of those. I’m tired of writing them.

Let’s work harder folks.