f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: On the Fast Track Toward Remediation: Thoughts of a Publishing Intern

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Friday, June 17, 2005

On the Fast Track Toward Remediation: Thoughts of a Publishing Intern

Finding time to write is a pain-in-the-butt. Between this lovely internship and the other jobs I work to keep a roof over my head and to afford my education, I find that carving time out of my schedule to write (and only write) never happens.

I feel guilty while sitting at a local Dunn Brothers' coffee house, sipping my White Chocolate-Vanilla-Caramel IceCrema, writing furiously on my Office Depot pad of white paper while dishes crowd the sink back at the apartment, and filth burrows into the carpet. Or I should be planning the next session of my soccer league nights or paying attention to relationships that have been put on hold for the past month. But not writing. No. That is a frivolity.

But I don't think it is. To many, yes, it can seem superfluous, but to me it's how I stay sane (or at least try to stay sane). Yet it is the one thing I never find myself doing (maybe that explains a few things about for some). "If I just get this done, then I can start writing," is what I tell myself. But then "this" becomes "these things" which take all day, and by the time I'm ready to write, I am dead on my feet.

I'm sure many of you can relate. If you can't, I want your life. But in any event, I am not sure of the point I am trying to make. I think I may be yelling at myself: just write! Even if it's crap, just write! It doesn't have to be good--it doesn't have to be long. Just Write.

If you found my yelling anything but helpful, I apologize. Next time may be better.