f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Call Me Rosencrantz...or Guildenstern

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Call Me Rosencrantz...or Guildenstern

Slate's pithy discussion of the somewhat anomalous summer occurrence. I like this line: "How did a nation come to expect free Shakespeare? And why must we watch it in the park?"

I have a bit of a Hamlet-fixation and one day dream of participating at some level in a low-rent production... despite limited acting skills. I figure I could be Bernardo or Marcellus or some such nobody. (For a rollicking tale of just such an experience please catch In the Bleak Midwinter, Kenneth Branagh's true love letter to the Bard. A minor gem you might have missed.) (And if you're going to watch Hamlet on film, I recommend the 2000 version starring Ethan Hawke. Hamlet as Gen-X slacker works better than you might think.)