f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Quick Book Review

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, May 23, 2005

Quick Book Review

I don't have tons of time to post today but I thought I'd mention a book I'm currently enjoying. It's David Dark's The Gospel According to America.

It's a fairly even-keeled approach to the topic of faith in the American discourse, Christianity when it becomes an "American" construct, and a number of other ideas. Part of the fun of reading Dark is playing "Catch That Song Reference." He quotes/cribs/alludes to song lyrics as though he's come down with Musical Tourette's.

It's worth noting at this site because many of Dark's references are from our great heritage of American literature--Faulkner, Hawthorne, etc. There's not much better than dropping a Melville reference to critique our current administration's verbiage in its war on terror. I mean, that's good stuff.