f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Day 1 of Book Covers: Ignoring the Cliche--"Let's Start Judging Some Books By Their Cover!"

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, April 25, 2005

Day 1 of Book Covers: Ignoring the Cliche--"Let's Start Judging Some Books By Their Cover!"

I’ve had nothing but blank space for about fifteen minutes here and the end of the day is drawing nigh, so I thought I’d get us started on a topic I don’t understand.

Book covers.

There are many things that seemed to blend art and science in this world, and book covers are definitely in that camp. We think of them, often, as art and yet, in purest terms, they are commercial. They are packaging designed to capture a buyer’s attention and make them pick the book up.

To be a good acquisitions editor I feel like I need to understand more of how book covers work on the shelves and tables of Barnes and Noble. What is it that great book covers have in common? Bad book covers? How do we make a decision in-house in the cases of having ten differing opinions?

I think to make this week work, we’ll spend each day looking at three or four different books. Some you may have heard of, others should be unfamiliar. If you’re willing, I’d love for you to post your thoughts about the covers, either here or, for longer thoughts, at the discussion board.

The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason

The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips