f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Sure to Offend Someone

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sure to Offend Someone

This week marks Banned Books Week as anointed by the ALA. This is a topic that gets many folks, often from a variety of backgrounds, in a deep panic. The Harry Potters and lesbian mommies and Huck Finns and menstruating teens are trotted out by all sorts of camps to scare us into thinking the world is ending or scare us into thinking our intellectual liberties are about to be completely shut off.

On this topic, I tend to side very heavily with the First Amendment. My ethics are situational to be sure, but I cherish our country's freedom to think and say things that others may not like without someone imprisoning me or putting a bullet in my head.

Of the Top 100 Banned Books from 1990-2000 I have read about 22, I think. To Kill a Mockingbird is #41. Sigh.

On a related note, I personally am thinking of starting Books That Should Be Banned Club. Not for content reasons but for artistic homicide. Books that just murder the English language and the form of the novel. My novels are certainly up for consideration but the two inaugural offerings are Meg by Steve Alten and The Carrier by Holden Scott. Bad, bad, books.