f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Day 10 of Genre- Genres I’m Not Going to Talk About Much

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Monday, August 09, 2004

Day 10 of Genre- Genres I’m Not Going to Talk About Much

Erotica – The other day, I went into Barnes and Noble to do some research on covers and I found myself in the romance department. I forget the company, but there’s a publisher out there who has an imprint with the words An Erotic Romance on every cover. And do you know what was on the covers? No, not heaving-this and moist-that—fruit. Pears nestled together and glistening. Cherries all tangled up at the stem. Made eating my peach today at lunch feel a bit naughty. Why am I telling you this? I don’t know. Perhaps it’s because I don’t have much to say about erotic fiction. Don’t submit any to a CBA publishing house, that’s for sure. This is a genre that Christian publishers probably won’t buy into anytime soon.

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual – I don’t think any CBA publishers are doing any work in this genre either.

Gothic – A long time ago we talked about the gothic genre in our discussion of Jesus Saves. Anne Rice rates high here. You can link it to horror but have it be more about the mood and existential and psychological underpinnings of our attraction/fascination with ugliness. Flannery O’Connor is our resident Christian gothic.

Adventure – Serious question: does this genre even exist anymore? It used to be that people were publishing Tarzan novels or Allan Quartermain novels. Not so much anymore. Chabon filled The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay with some marvelous moments of pure adventure. Other books just seem to be thrillers or suspense. Am I just overlooking some writers?

That’s it for today. We still have General, Romance, and CBA to get to and then our discussion of genre will be complete. After only three weeks. Yikes.