f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: The Best Reading I've Done This Year

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Thursday, June 17, 2004

The Best Reading I've Done This Year

In lieu of a post I'm going to point you to a speech by Frederick Douglass given on July 5, 1852. Blew me away. Where would this speech be given today? If there church decided to stand up against AIDS in Africa or the war in Iraq (if it felt so led) where would the platform be for this kind of eloquence? We have become a sound bite nation and are paying the price at the level of discourse and exchange.

This one, by Bono, is also pretty good. At least for contemporary standards.

(Irony alert: complaining about sound bites in a blog, whose very form is devoted to such things. Just wanted to point it out myself before others made fun of me.)