f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Once More With Feeling: Where Do We Go From Here?

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Friday, April 30, 2004

Once More With Feeling: Where Do We Go From Here?

A Buffy the Vampire Slayer shout-out to start today’s post. For those of you who’ve never seen a television drama attempt a musical episode, if you can track down the show above, it’s worth a viewing.

Anyway, the question posed is: where do we go from here? This is Day 4 in our discussion of reading and I’d like to up the ante a little. It’s not enough to just blather on about it. We need to be reading each others’ work.

See, here’s the thing. I am a writer and I know, from many workshop experiences, that the most exciting day is the time when your own work is discussed. We live for that feedback. Writing is our true passion and we want to always be moving forward with it. Still, I think we need to see the imperative need for readers…and we need to fill that role.

So, why I’m trying to figure out is how people are going to do that in their own lives. Are most of you currently involved in writers groups elsewhere? It may not seem like it through comments but readership of this journal continues to increase daily. I don’t know if a larger, more efficient system of communication would increase interaction.

What I’m most interested in: Are you, as writers, interested in establishing a small critique group linked to this site? For that, you’d have to be willing to play the part of readers too, but it’d be a place where writers who share the same vision for the future of Christian fiction would engage each other, not philosophically as we are doing now, but with each others’ actual words.

I’ll be honest: that’s my vision for this site. I’m excited about the possibility of creating a place that provides encouragement and practical help for writers. I’m excited about seeing an idea workshopped for a few months and polished into a story we’d consider for publication. That’s not going to just happen overnight though. I need to know if you all are interested or if your creative commitments lie elsewhere. Feel free to chime in through comments or to me directly.

And have a good weekend!