f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n: Also Coming in 2004: A Sense of Humor

f a i t h * i n * f i c t i o n

Friday, January 02, 2004

Also Coming in 2004: A Sense of Humor

Based mostly on intuition and a finely honed ignorance about most important things (science, economics, and women to name a few), I'm going out on a limb to say that, in general, 2004 is not going to be our shining moment as a species. We're starting our year with terror alerts, plus we have the summer Olympics in Athens (a disaster waiting to happen) and the Presidential election in November, which will mostly be a re-examination of the 2000 debacle.

So, my goal in 2004 is to try and make a few people laugh. My goal is also to find some writers who are able to see the nonsense, absurdity, and obscene number of sacred cows we've set up in American Christianity that could use a good ribbing. I dislike generalizations about Christians as much as generalizations about any other people-group, but the one with which I truly agree is that we are far too self-serious.

I'm not going to tell jokes or pen amusing limericks. However, I won't be above trying to throw in a funny line here and there in this journal or making fun of Canada when it's called for. And I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for the humorous and the comedic. Plus, I think a lighthearted novel or three might be just the icebreaker that Christian fiction needs. We can prove to the world that we have a voice other than the one who shouts at them from picket lines or preaches to them from pulpits. We can show how we're able to laugh at ourselves. It certainly can't hurt what with laughter being the best medicine and all.

Paul says joy is a fruit of the spirit. Let's hope the harvest in 2004 is gigantic. 'Kay? Great! Rock on!